SEARCH STILL GOES ON FOR A MISSING BABY IN KUNENE, NAMIBIA

WINDHOEK– A year and six months have gone by without inroads being made by police to find a six-month-old baby stolen from her mother in early May 2017 at Epupa village in the Kunene Region of Namibia.

Namibian Police crime investigations coordinator in Kunene, Deputy Commissioner Rudolf Kanyetu told Nampa on Monday the baby has not yet been found and that the search by police is still on.

“We are still urging members of the public who may have information that can assist the police to find the baby to come forward,” he said.

The baby reportedly went missing while sleeping next to her Angolan mother, 20-year-old Ndjinaveva Kauyekua, who was visiting relatives in the village at the time of the incident.

The mother allegedly discovered the baby was missing when she woke up to breastfeed her. They were sleeping outdoors.

Three people, namely Dirk Rinovita, 39, Ngombe Tjambiru, 27, and Tjiposa Tjikundi, age unknown, have since been arrested in connection with the missing baby.

They were denied bail after their appearance in the Opuwo Magistrate’s Court in May last year on charges of theft, kidnapping and human trafficking.

The community of Opuwo staged a demonstration on 26 June last year before the second appearance of the accused persons demanding that they be denied bail.

State Prosecutor Obert Masendeke on Monday told Nampa that the accused are expected to appear in court on Friday for a bail application.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK