NO NUCLEAR DEAL WITH ANY COUNTRY, SAYS SOUTH AFRICAN DEPUTY PRESIDENT

South Africa has not entered iy nculear power plant deal with any country so far, says Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa.

He said this when responding to oral questions at the National Council of Provinces (upper house of Parliament) here Wednesday. A Member of Parliament had asked, among other questions, whether the government had entered into a nuclear deal with any country.

Ramaphosa said the government remained committed to an open, fair and transparent procurement process and it wanted to implement the nuclear energy programme at a scale and pace that the country could afford.

“A request for proposals for a nuclear new build programme of 9,600 megawatts (MW) will be released to the market during this financial year in line with the Cabinet decision taken on 9 December 2015. The Department of Energy is currently consulting with relevant stakeholders to finalise the documentation,” he said.

The government will continue to pursue the implantation of an energy mix comprising coal, nuclear, renewable, gas and hydro to ensure security of electricity supply and support economic growth.

“In pursuing a suitable energy mix, government is determined that our investment in generation capacity should be evidence-based, sustainable and affordable. As indicated by the Department of Energy in December 2015, any decision to proceed further with a nuclear build programme will only take place after the Request for Proposals process has been completed and a final funding model has been developed,” said Ramaphosa.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK